Monday, July 8, 2013

I'm Not Really Falling Behind...Much

     As I noted in my Friday post, the FabFam traveled to Downeast Maine (which is actually north from here) to visit my Personal Chef's parents.  We were having technology issues, so I drafted a very nice blogpost Saturday that I hoped to upload at some point.  I still will, when my laptop and internet service are both in the same place.

     I did completely skip blogging yesterday.  And I'm not going to apologize. 

     Yesterday was an awful day, spent trying to keep Thing 2 safe in the midst of a mental health crisis that not only affected him, but has deeply affected my husband, my children, my in-laws, and his closest friends. Oh, and me. By the time we got back from the hospital and got everyone settled, it had been more than 24 hours since I'd slept. So I took a shower and went to bed.

     We all woke up above the ground today, so there is still hope for us all.  We have really good doctors and clinicians who have been responsive and helpful.  More importantly, we have a great support system of family and friends who  check in on us frequently, feed us, pour us drinks, listen to us whine, take care of the other kids and the dogs, pray for us and all the countless things that they do to keep us upright.

     It still sucks.  It sucks that our son, through no fault of his own, was born as "That Kid."  It sucks that we are "That Kid's Parents."  It sucks that our other two children get caught up in that suffering.  It sucks that they have been shortchanged so often when it has taken all of our energy and attention to take care of their brother.  It sucks that there are WAY more folks who are actively non-supportive of him or us. It makes it just that much harder to travel through this difficult life when the neighbors judge you,  gossip about you, and then ostracize you because of your sick child's inappropriate behavior.  It sucks that the illness manifests so inappropriately.

     And so it goes.  The sun rises.  The sun sets.  We have to fill the hours we're given with something.  I will spend them trying to alleviate my son's suffering, and perhaps some of my own.  And I will cherish the joyful moments when I can catch them.

     

2 comments:

  1. Being your friend, (at least that is how I think of myself) I could spout all kinds of platitudes, I got a stock of them that will probably never run out. But what I really want to say is I could not imagine a better set of parents for those three kids! My heart weeps for the troubles, it breaks for the sadness you endure, I also know the pride and joy you have in all three of those beautiful children. But, and here it comes, a platitude, God gave those kids the best parents they needed to help them, understand them, guide them and best of all love them through thick and thin. I love you and your family so very much and can't thank God enough for hooking our families together oh soooo many years ago. I wish I could do more, be there more, especially since you support my stupidity way more than one would expect. So my friend I can't take away the issues but I will support you if you call, any time, any day, any moment. I cant walk very fast anymore but I have a car and I can swing a cane with the best of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helene, you aren't my friend. You are my sister. I love you more than I can ever express. Thank you so very much for these (desperately needed) comforting words.

    ReplyDelete