Sunday, April 5, 2015

Catching the Small Joys--Easter Edition


Even the worst days have moments of joy.  They do. I promise you they do. This week has had more than its fair share of rough moments. Still, here are some of the joys that blessed my socks off this week:



  • Waking up to coffee, challah French toast with local maple syrup, and ham...
  • ...and the intoxicating scent of lamb stock simmering in preparation for the incredible holiday feast my Personal Chef is pulling together.



  • Being surrounded by folks I love for another successful Annual Tie Dyeing of the Easter Eggs Fandango.









  • Having a friend like Bob who loves my kids so much that he'd invent the Annual Tie Dyeing of the Easter Eggs Fandango back when Thing 1 and Thing 2 were teeny beans.
  • Knowing that my kids love the tradition--and especially Bob--to do whatever it takes to make sure they're here for it.


  • Ricotta pie from Modern Pastry and friends who love me enough to bring me one.
  • Being surprised with a bonus pie from Modern Pastry, because my friends are made entirely out of awesome, and know that I have never met a pie I didn't like.



Photo Courtesy of Modern Pastry

  • Getting the screen porch and Oasis of Awesomeness put back together in time for opening day of baseball. We've never missed an opening day, but this is the first year that there's still snow on the ground, so it was a worry.




  • Listening to the spring rain falling on the roof in the quiet hours before sunrise.
  • Paying attention when the rain shower ended and the sun came out in all its spring glory.
  • Discovering my tulips coming up, and spotting the buds on the forsythia.






  • Finally perfecting my macaroon recipe--they taste like little bites of lemon meringue pie in heaven.  My Personal Chef announced them to be his favorite cookie ever. (Snickerdoodles, you've had a good run.)
  • That unexpected phone call from Sister Theresita that lifted my sunken spirits, and put me back on track. Her radical faith is demonstrated in a thousand practical, persistent ways. That she is a joy-filled force of nature just adds to her charm.  Her example and her friendship are among my most treasured gifts.


  • Cadbury mini eggs, Reese's mini eggs, and  jelly beans
  • Loading some of my favorite kids with bubble stuff for the season.


  • Believing, really believing, that better days are ahead.



No comments:

Post a Comment