Saturday, June 29, 2013

Homesick for Somebody Else's Home

   Suddenly yesterday, I missed Rwanda.  I was driving through a neighborhood in Providence and caught the smell of woodfire that was just pungent enough to transport me to Kigali.  I'm planning my return to Rwanda for next June.  My family will be coming with me this time.  It's not going to be a student trip or even a service trip.  It will be my family going to visit our friends in Kigali.

     Visiting our friends in Kigali.  That I can even write such a sentence blows my mind. 

My family is really looking forward to spending time with Alexis and Gyslaine.  They are going to LOVE their little girls. And they will be overwhelmed by the hospitality of Alexis' family.   


Alexis and Yigal



Gyslaine



     It became a running joke that I was "only pretending to eat,"  because I could not possibly eat as much as they insisted on serving me.  The rules of Rwandan hospitality are iron-clad and involve  lot and lots of food and drink.

I miss it.  And I miss my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment