Sunday, February 16, 2014

Blessings in Disguise

     It's been just about a month since my last blog post. It was an action-packed month.  My son spent 18 days in a mental hospital fighting for his life.  In the course of a (relatively) routine medical procedure, I almost lost my mother. One of my dearest friends did lose her father. Both my fibromyalgia and bursitis flared up. There were no fewer than six major snow storms to deal with.
     Before you start feeling too badly for me, it wasn't all gloom and doom.  A group of girlfriends took it upon themselves to plan the Valentine's Day Brunch I have annually with style and tremendous affection.  I got to offer a challenging job to a colleague, with the confidence  that she is more than up to the task. I got to spend an evening with one of my favorite babies and was reminded what it feels like to be smitten. My eternal bachelor brother proposed to a great woman and to everyone's amazement (including his) she said yes.
    It's not the first challenging season I've ever lived through.  It's not even the MOST challenging season I've had.  It feels like I came through it having gained more than in the past, though.
      By the time Valentine's Day rolled around,  I was completely certain that I know what it is to deeply love others and to be loved deeply in return.  I know what real strength looks like--and feels like.  I was shown what it is to be brave, fierce, and dignified.  I discovered some personal limits I never acknowledged I have before, and found that the world didn't come to an end.  Rather,  I experienced the relief that comes from letting someone help bear a burden.
     And so, while I am so very glad that this season is over, I am grateful to have been through it.  I consider myself blessed in countless ways.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment